Friday, June 29, 2007

Setting Foot In Folkstone

Thomas and I wearily arrived in Folkstone, England early this afternoon. After a day of travel with minimal sleep we are both feeling a relieved to have made the trip safe and without problems. Honestly, one of our largest challenges yet was finding this public library with internet access.

We will spend two nights here in Folkstone, and our hotel is a stones throw away from the Channel. It was a both humbling and exciting to finally feel the cold ocean breeze and see the white caps turning over again. I am a bit too knackered right now to test the waters; however, I hope to catch a quick nap and then go for a brief swim this evening. I plan on spending much more time in the water tomorrow. We are both very much thrilled to embark on this journey in approximately one weeks time.

I was able to read much of Lance Armstrong's book, It's Not About The Bike: My Journey Back To Life, on the way over. His story is remarkably motivating, as Armstrong's testimate of perseverance is unparalleled. It is a message that has resonated with me for some time, and I need it more now than ever.

We thank you all for you prayers and well wishes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you landed safely. I can't wait to hear how the water is. As of this AM we have raised $14,105.38 for Free Med...just 4,894.62 away for our $19,000 goal. We can do it! take care John & Thomas and have a wonderful time.

Laura Tills said...

Good Luck, John!! We're excited to be able to follow your trek online. And Thomas - good luck to you also....feed John well!

Anonymous said...

Try to send back some photos that we can post on the FMC website!