Friday, July 13, 2007






I found it hard to swim straight for the last two hours (as my right arm didn’t want to cooperate) but finally the French sand helped me focus in.

You can barely see me, but I am laying exhausted on the beach thinking about how much I appreciate living a terrestrial life. My brief celebration consisted of doing a log roll for the late Jon Blais, rubbing some sand in my Crossing For Care wristband, and then saying a short prayer. I couldn’t stay on French soil without a passport for more than five minutes, so I swam back to the dingy that took me to our fishing troller.

I arrived before sunset at 7:55PM and had spent 12 hours and 40 minutes in the water. From East to West I swam over 23 miles. Taking into account the North and South directions, I swam (albeit aided by currents and tides) upwards of 30 miles. Our course looked like an inverted “S”.

It was a good days work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John:
CONGRATULATION ON A GREAT JOB BY A GREAT PERSON, WE ALL KNEW YOU COULD DO IT WITH THOMAS THERE TO HELP AND TO TELL YOU WHAT HE WAS GOING TO DO TO YOU IF YOU DID NOT MAKE IT!!!!!

Congratulations Again, we look forward to talking to you at your sisters wedding.
Mike & Patsy Jensen

Anonymous said...

John, Congratulations on a stupendous adventure! Can't even begin to imagine the swim. The best part of it all was the "family effort." It something to tell others for years and years. Above everything else it is very inspiring for your excellent endeavors with medical care. Can't wait to hear about the next mountain you plan to climb! Keep rocking!
PS Your dad gave me your address
Tony Gallo, PT
Grinnell, Iowa