Monday, July 9, 2007

Le Tour de France: The Grand Departure

We have a lot to cover here in a brief amount of time - so please bear with me.

A few days back Thomas and I unsuccessfully tried to besiege the Dover Castle; however, as you can see by the photo it is rather fortified. In consolation, we journeyed up and across the White Cliffs of Dover. It was a most beautiful view looking over the ominous body of water and down the white sheaths of rock. According to an old Dover motto: "Bluebirds will fly over the White Cliffs of Dover tomorrow, you just wait and see..." We are both a bit mystified at its meaning, but we found it to be a bit humerus.

Later that day Thomas went for his first swim in the Harbour. A valiant effort it was, and he even went the next day without a wetsuit! I was able to get a few hour long swims and worked up to a 2.5 hour swim on Saturday. It was the most swimmers I have seen in the Harbour yet, and I enjoyed having a chat with some of them in the water. The Aussie that I had been training with swam yesterday - however, I still do not know the outcome of the swim. I plan to give him a call after this post. The nicest day of our trip was yesterday and it looks to stay nice throughout the week (fingers crossed)!

Yesterday, Sunday afternoon, Thomas and I took the train to Canterbury to see the end of Stage 1 of the Tour de France. We also were able to go to a beautiful service at the Canterbury Cathedral. The Tour stage started in London and rolled through the English countryside. It was a most spectacular event, and we were able to secure spots less than 25 meters from the finish line. After about 2 hours of the caravan of European advertisements, the racers flew by in less than 30 seconds. An Aussie won the stage by breaking away from the peloton at the very last moment. Yesterday, the entire tour entourage actually went through Dover and rode the Sea France ferry across the Channel to begin Stage 2 in France.

We a both now staying at a very quaint youth hostile for the rest of the week. I am obliged to have some of Thomas's famous cooking - although it is mainly just carb-loading. We were also able to mix up a concoction of baby food, rich chocolate ovaltine, crushed mini-wheats, flax seed oil, and some crushed IB Profine. I will subside on this concoction for much of the swim, but I will be able to treat myself to fruit juice, bananas, and power bars when it gets old.

We envy your hot Iowa weather, as yesterday was the first day that we have got any sort of sun. I also have not worn my shorts since I got off the airplane. The next few days we plan to mentally and physically prepare by getting lots of rest.

2 comments:

Thomas Heineman said...

John - WEAR YOUR WETSUIT!!! I mean, I totally trust your judgment, and I know you'll do what you want to do, but, because I'm your sister, I'm going to harp on you from across the ocean to wear your neoprene friend.

Anonymous said...

(oops, that last comment was from Anna. I'm still learning to use this thing.)