Monday, July 2, 2007

Some Meditations

So why am I doing this? When spending a while in the harbor this morning, coupled with our raw living conditions, I've had time to ponder this question and hopefully more clearly articulate my answer to those of you who still think I’m nuts.

I honestly feel that the philosophy of the free clinic is in my bones; however, who am I to trumpet their amazing service to Iowa City? I was only a student-volunteer. I have no letters behind my name and only 22 years of experience in life. Yet, with a bit of creativity, you have listened and hopefully spread the word about health care access as a limiting reagent in our state and country. I thank you for also physically spreading access with your donations.

Everyone suffers in life, but some more than others. No one deserves to get sick, no one deserves to experience the loss of comfort or security, and no one deserves to go without health coverage. To make a point that people across all strata can be uninsured, Lance Armstrong had to pay out of pocket for his hospitalizations and chemotherapy treatments because he had no insurance when changing cycling sponsors when diagnosed with cancer. When he did get covered under the new sponsor, the disease was considered a pre-existing condition that his new plan wouldn't cover. Funny how that works.

Thus, I have been putting my head down in the cold waters to have a little hope for others who find themselves on the wrong side of luck - and, selfishly, for myself. To be quite honest, I don't swim for the pleasure but rather for the pain. And when it comes to swimming the Channel, there is no bloody reason to attempt such a "feat of idiocy" - except that I need to search the depths of stamina that my body is able to endure. It is really a "contest in purposeless suffering." The intensity and numbness of swimming for hours on end, especially in the Channel's current 55 F waters, makes me feel at peace. The simplicity of monotonous repetitions allow me to stop thinking about the weight of the world and focus on each stroke and kick. I guess I see it as a more holistic approach of treating pain with pain.

Well that is enough of my ramblings for now. Coach appears to be ready for an afternoon tea.

All the best.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi John,
It was nice to read on why you took up this challenge. Your justification shows amazing maturity of thoughts about right to health care for all. Its inspirational !

What can i wish? Again- Keep going !!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are getting in the right mind-set for your swim. I saw "Sicko" this weekend and was encouraged that there are other models for universal health care that seem to keep both the doctors and the patients happy (I do still need to read your senior thesis, John). Of course, every system has flaws, but it's clear that our current system is broken and is not headed in a direction that will fix anything. As according to Michael Moore, the French seem to have a terrific program going--you will have to ask the people on the street when you are in France whether or not they are currently happy with their health care. Doctors even get bonuses according to the number of patients they get to quit smoking or help to lower cholesterol. And according to my Swedish colleague, families in Sweden get 18 months paid leave for new babies (to be split up however you like for paternal/maternal leave) as well as yearly well-checks both medical and dental through the schools. Prevention seems to be the way to go if we can get to that point since the States are a bit behind currently. Hmmm. Back to manipulation. Keep going strong!!

Anonymous said...

Hi! John and Thomas! --looking good. Do take care. Be careful and have some fun, too. Looking forward to your progress!! We know you can do it!
Love, Mary and Jon Hart

Anonymous said...

I know you are an Obama man, but I gave the info about your swim and FMC to Hillary when she was here today. If she becomes president I wanted her to know all about us. Keep blogging. Your posts are an inspiration even to an old cynic such as me.

bruce said...

john, Why you are doing this is something that maybe no one will really know or understand, but you. But others might see the same thing you have and go fight for a healthcare system entirely provided by the govt. I think you must have been touched at a deeper level, one that is needed by all those who serve others. By doing the swim, you have given those who will benefit at the clinic hope. those who work at the clinic may have a new view of sacrifice. and those of us that can just sit here in the comfort of our homes have had the opportunity to become a little involved and inspired, and even contribute to the cause through your efforts. i do believe the American people have a generous heart to respond to those who need help, who fall through the cracks of a private health system. I wonder if we would look at these people differently under a universal health care system, and merely say, "why doesn't the government do something?" And then we would all miss a blessing. God bless you. Uncle bruce

Anonymous said...

Hey John. I liked your post, so I thought I would comment.

I remember a few weeks back you mentioned that you could count on one hand the number of people who honestly understand why you are swimming the channel. I know that I have tried to understand, and because I haven't spoken with you personally on the matter (at least not for any significant amount of time), I don't fully get it. But that doesn't matter and I don't want you to feel compelled to explain yourself on my account.

Do know that your actions speak loudly, and at the very least I do understand your honorable passion for universal healthcare. Kate is right in that our current system is insufficient, and under-serves too many people. At the very least, your swim and this blog shed light on this issue, and stimulate conversation. Be happy with that! Plus, you raised more than a little money that will provide assistance for those who need it. Also, maybe your swim is a form of protest to the current form of healthcare in the U.S. If so, then more power to you! We've all heard the politicians rant about the healthcare system. It’s an old rant. Oddly, although you're not the one on the stump bemoaning the U.S. system, your message is as clear as the politicians. But it's uniquely refreshing. I understand that position, and I appreciate it.

Good luck, and keep going. We'll be thinking about you.

Lee