Friday, July 13, 2007






This is what I saw all day. The waves were so big that I couldn’t see much of anything but water – very frustrating. Thomas amused me by scribbling messages on a white board to keep me going in the seemingly endless water. The chop was a bit more than what I was used to at the Coralville Reservoir, and it didn’t help that it was getting more and more violent as we neared France. Thomas was even more ill than myself from thrashing about in the boat. He’s a trooper through, and I wouldn’t have done it without him.

Another bit of excitement were the shoals of jelly fish. I was hit in the face and hands with purple jellies (non-stingers) and tried to avoid the brown jellies (stingers) as much as possible.

As we neared the point of Cap Nez Gris I needed to grit my teeth and give everything I had to fight the returning tide to make sure that I made it North of that big rock. If I had not made it, I would have had to swim much longer as the currents would have pushed me back out to sea. Somehow we got lucky.

No comments: