Friday, July 13, 2007

Moutains Beyond Mountains

I first apologize for my misspellings and grammatical errors, as I am struggling to acclimatize myself to the French keyboard. We arrived in Pont St-Esprit, France last evening and were welcomed with the finest of cusine and company. Thomas and I are staying in a gorgeous home and are receiving the warmest of hospitality from the family of a former Grinnell High School exchange student – Adelaide Subtil. After cold, wet, and windy weather (coupled with hostile living) for the past fortnight, we are very much at peace now.

More importantly, now that I have gotten this swim out of my system, I hope to refocus the energy that I spent in the water towards more important/relevant endeavours such as health care access. It was truly heart-warming to hear that the most recent fundraising total for the clinic is $15,370! This outpouring of support hopefully emphasizes my belief that the FMC’s services are not only needed and appreciated – but that health care reform is necessary.

Coincidently, what I have taken away from the past ten months has nothing to do with swimming. Rather, my exposure to humanity at its finest has given me much hope. I have been approached by many individuals whom have shared their stories about how the clinic helped them through rough times. I have been blessed with the warm support by my family and friends. I have been welcomed by Iowa City community organizations that have listened to my message. I have been awestruck by the generosity of anonymous donors, well wishes, and random acts of kindness. Thus, I now have solid proof that people are innately empathetic and, by numbers, have the power (if will is also present) to improve society.

Health care reform in some form or another is inevitable; however, the current proposals vary widely. Please consider further helping to increase access by being an educated voter, volunteering, prayers, thoughts, words, and other deeds.

Although mountains inevitably lay beyond mountains, it does not mean that we should not climb.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The photos are amazing. You are amazing. On the volunteer page of FMC website is a saying, "we make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give"...you must have some wonderful life! You have touched so many by your acts, not so random, and people have responded because you are YOU. You have a great gift for allowing folks to share their best sides...

peace,
sp

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great swim, John!
Congratulations to you both----Mission accomplished!
It was so exciting to hear the good news. I just can not comprehend your
feat.
God bless you, John and Thomas , today and always.
Love and prayers, Grandma M.

Anonymous said...

YEA!!! There was much celebrating done here in Iowa City - we had many toasts to your accomplishment!! Above all, I'm glad to hear John, that you're safe, and Thomas, your stomach has settled. Looking forward to hearing the stories in person. For now, soak up that adrenaline high!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!
We received the great news as we were returning from a few days in California. Earlier this week as we were enjoying the ocean waters I was trying to imagine the challenges that you would be encountering. Quite an accomplishment! Well done!
---Frank & Paula