Friday, July 6, 2007

Oxford

Foremost, thank you all for your posts and comments - as your words of encouragement are warmly appreciated.

The last two days have been a treat for myself and Thomas, having the opportunity to catch up with old college friends as well as spend an evening back at Oxford. However, before I left for those occasions I did a one mile swim in the Harbor without a wetsuit (as I didn't have time to dry it out). I did a fair amount of shivering afterwards and was numb for some time - thus gaining a real appreciation for the protection that is neoprene.

I believe that Thomas already wrote about my friend Pippa's birthday party, so I will fill you in about our night at Magdalen College in Oxford. My old biochemistry tutor, Dr. Robert Gilbert, put us up in a beautiful guest room in the Cloisters. We then met Dr. Gilbert, as well as a few other fellows (or professors) and the Dean of Divinity, in the Senior Commons Room for a high table dinner of goose and pheasant. It was a candlelit multi-course dinner. It was a most beautiful evening to be able to catch up with Dr. Gilbert as well as discuss a host of pressing issues in Britain and the US. After dessert and coffee, Dr. Gilbert took us through a trap door into the old college library to see the classical texts of Newton, Hooke, et al., and we topped the night off at the Bear Pub - an Oxford establishment since 1270. The experience brought back found memories of my time abroad, and Thomas hopes to also spend some time there (or possibly Cambridge) next year.

We arrived back in Dover yesterday afternoon and have checked into a local youth hostile. It is definitely the cheapest accommodation yet, and its biggest perk is the community kitchen. I went for a swim last night in the cold and rain, and we are both becoming quite used to these miserable conditions - which just happen to be quite rare this time of the year. We then cooked a pasta dinner back and the hostile and enjoyed being stationary for a bit.

The plans for today are quite optimistic, considering that we finally have blue skies (however, the duration that they will last is very unpredictable). We are going on a hike up to the Dover Castle which over looks the Channel, and I plan to splash around for 2-3 hours afterwards. We must commence our journey soon as the skies will inevitably turn on us.

Tomorrow afternoon we plan to jettison over to Canterbury to see the finish of Stage 1 of the Tour de France. We'll post again when we are able to get back to the library. All the best.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi John,

I live with Barbara, Patient Services Coordinator at the Free Medical Clinic. I've been following your efforts for some time. Your persistance and positive outlook give me hope.

That you have raised over $14,000, is amazing. Just as amazing -- the attention that you bring to the need for healthcare for everyone, and the gift of hope inspired by your outlook and and your actions. Be careful out there. We'll need you back here. You've done so much already.

Thank you!

Peace and love, from Aaron in Iowa City

Anonymous said...

Hey John and Thomas,

I had a break at work and thought I would check my email. Anyway sounds like you guys are having fun. But you should remember Joe and I sweating out in the Seed Corn feilds. I wish I could be swiming around about now. Well I hope to see you two at the wedding Joe and I may be working too soon to tell.

Good Luck!!

Ben

Laura Tills said...

looking good in those tuxes!! we're watching with great interest and send all the best wishes for your success. it's wonderful that you're raising awareness for this cause... it's going to be getting a lot of attention in the next year! (and hopefully some change will come of it!)

Unknown said...

Hello John and Thomas,

We have sure been enjoying and watching with great interest your blog and pictures of your great adventure there! What an awsome thing to do! Be careful..good luck ! .. our thoughts and prayers are with you both!

Cousin, Linda and Ron Trudo